Student Loan Law Initiative (SLLI)
Program & Research Manager
The Student Borrower Protection Center (SBPC) is a new organization leading a nationwide effort to end the student debt crisis in America. As part of this important work, SBPC is seeking an individual to serve as the inaugural Program & Research Manager of the Student Loan Law Initiative (SLLI). The individual will have the opportunity to help build SLLI from the ground up – creating a groundbreaking new collaboration between the University of California, Irvine School of Law (UCI Law) and SBPC to spur innovative new research on the effects of student debt on American families and create a foundation of research to support policy change.
About the Student Borrower Protection Center
The Student Borrower Protection Center engages in policy development, research, and litigation strategy to protect student loan borrowers’ rights and advance the economic opportunity of the next generation of students. SBPC aims to expose harmful and illegal practices in the student loan industry, drive impact litigation, advise policymakers regarding issues that affect student loan borrowers in Washington and in state capitals, and promote policy change.
About the Student Loan Law Initiative
SLLI is the nation’s first academic initiative on student loan law and will drive cutting-edge research into one of the most pressing challenges facing American families – the student debt crisis.
SLLI will define “student loan law” as a new academic discipline, directly affecting 44 million borrowers struggling with student debt. In addition to contributions from leading consumer law scholars at UCI, academics across the country will be able to affiliate with SLLI to collaborate on new, policy-focused law scholarship and seize this historic opportunity to define the field of law and create consumer-driven reform for America’s student loan borrowers.
More information about SLLI is available at www.law.uci.edu/centers/slli.
About the Position
The SLLI Program & Research Manager will develop and execute the initiative’s first comprehensive research agenda, spurring new academic research and incorporating research and researchers into SBPC’s change-making policy and advocacy work.
The SLLI Program & Research Manager reports to the Director of Research & Advocacy at SBPC. The SLLI Program & Research Manager will collaborate with SBPC’s Executive Director and faculty at UCI Law to co-direct SLLI.
This individual will also collaborate with the Communications and Policy teams at SBPC to plan, develop, and execute public events to connect SLLI affiliated scholars and SLLI research with policymakers.
This position is based in Washington, DC.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute on the first comprehensive research agenda for SLLI, building a vision for how academic research can support policy change and drive reforms across the student loan market and the higher education sector;
- Coordinate the acquisition of new data, including credit panel data, and support the development of empirical research on the effects of student debt on American families;
- Serve as the primary liaison between SLLI and the academic community by identifying academic partners, developing research plans, and collaborating in the drafting and release of SLLI affiliated research;
- Develop original research and analysis, including white papers, policy briefs, blog posts and other public-facing written deliverables, in collaboration with scholars, practitioners, and SBPC staff;
- Plan and execute convenings, workshops, symposia, and other SLLI events focused on spurring collaboration between scholars and connecting scholars with practitioners and policymakers;
- Provide project management and administrative support for SLLI, including grant management, grant writing, and contract administration;
- Manage SLLI’s digital presence, including drafting, editing, and posting content for social media and the web, including SBPC’s blog;
- Collaborate with team members to creatively and effectively package and distribute data to reach a range of policy and advocacy audiences;
- Ensure the accuracy and quality of written products. Research, prepare, and assemble materials such as presentations or reports for distribution to a range of stakeholders;
- Lead and complete special projects as needed; and
- Contribute to the growth and development of the Student Borrower Protection Center.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Project management and implementation experience
- Exceptional composition and editing skills; Ability to synthesize complex information from multiple sources into a cohesive product; With careful attention to tone and style, compose materials that effectively communicates the desired message to the intended audience(s); Critical eye for grammar, punctuation, and syntax
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to manage extensive documentation and written information
- Ability to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexibility in working style, marked by an ability to work independently and as part of a team, closely with a wide range of personality and organization types and teams
- Proficiency in multiple social media platforms
- Capacity to respond rapidly and appropriately to changing priorities, objectives, and situations; self-starter with a sense of initiative and good judgment
- Ability to anticipate informational needs as situations and projects develop
- Shares a commitment to the mission of SBPC
To apply, please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Student Borrower Protection Center is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status, or to other non-work related factors.