The Public Service Loan Forgiveness program was created to provide public service workers with student loan debt relief in exchange for a decade of service in their communities. Unfortunately, government mismanagement and student loan industry abuses have left millions of borrowers cheated out of their right to loan forgiveness.
For the first time, the federal government is asking borrowers to share their PSLF stories. This is our chance to make the case directly to President Biden and Secretary Cardona that the program is broken and that only sweeping action to deliver debt relief can right a decade of wrongs. Public service workers have done their part. Now it is time to keep the promise of PSLF.
Share Your Story!
Demanding the Biden Administration Keep its Promise to Public Service Workers:
- Labor organizations representing more than 10 million workers call for the Education Department to deliver on the promise of PSLF
- 100 Civil rights and consumer advocates call for the Education Department to deliver on the promise of PSLF
- U.S. Representatives and Senators call for the Education Department to deliver on the promise of PSLF
- Veterans and service member groups call for the Education Department to deliver on the promise of PSLF
- The SBPC and American Federation of Teachers Expose Mismanagement and Abuse in the PSLF Program
- Delivering on Debt Relief: The Roadmap for How the Biden Administration can Fulfill the Promise of PSLF
- Explore state-by-state data on Public Service Loan Forgiveness, the program designed to fix PSLF, known as “Temporary Expanded PSLF,” and Employer Certification Form rejections and acceptances.
In the News
- USA Today: Student loan forgiveness: Biden can restore a broken promise
- Washington Post: Seeking Forgiveness: The Dizzying Journey for Public Servants with Student Debt
- NPR: Why Public Service Loan Forgiveness is So Unforgiving
- New York Times: The Public Student Loan Forgiveness Rescue Hasn’t Gone Well So Far
- MarketWatch: The Government Promised to Forgive Military Members’ Student Loans After 10 Years of Service-It’s Only Worked for 124 of Them
- MONEY: Borrowers Eligible for Public Service Loan Forgiveness Face Massive Delays on Student Debt Relief